ABOUT LOCAL LIVE MUSIC

Monday, December 24, 2007

THE BRIAN ROSE LITTLE BIG BAND AT CHICAGO'S!!!








On Thursday,Dec.20 I came home from a Christmas gathering of old friends in the east end to the North Shwa and thought that some nice,pleasing jazz renderings would be a perfect way to wind down the evening.I wish somebody had told me that the party had already started and it was half over! When I walked into Chicago's,I first noticed that the place was filled almost to capacity and while the Brian Rose Little Big Band was effortlessly cruising through a Blood,Sweat and Tears number,I shuffled across a snowy Simcoe St. to recover my camera and the strength to carry on the evening.With a line-up of seasoned pros in a traditional big band configuration and fronted by the almost eerie 40's Sinatra-like vocals by Mr.Dave Statham with either Larisa Renee or Rachelle Courtney,this band obviously delivers what they advertise and more.Although they have a steady once-a-month booking at this venue, I didn't realize or appreciate until now what I had been missing.Here is a quote from their website." The Brian Rose Band is comprised of musicians with extensive experience in jazz, big bands, concert bands, Dixieland music, R&B, and even choirs. Their combined musical influences are reflected in their performance, and make it easy for them to satisfy the diverse tastes of today's audiences."

Brian Rose on sax and flute,Rob Bulger on guitar, Dave Statham on vocals,Steve Kostachuk on drums....wait...go to http://www.brianroseband.ca/ for a not only a comprehensive list of the players,but a really cool website to check out this band.I've also included some pictures of my own and two video clips in this review for your viewing and listening pleasure.
Do yourself a favour,as I will surely again and go back in time for a really fun and cool experience,when the Brian Rose Little Big Band returns on their regular night,Thursday January 17th at Chicago's.Why not."Baby It's Cold Outside"...............See You There!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff, and thanks for posting it. I've known Dave for years and I'm still blown away by his talent.

Jil